Raised Bed Vegetable Garden
Raised beds are becoming a popular choice for many people that want to have a garden. Not only do they look great but they serve to make a great garden. Many people have totally replaced their garden spots with raised garden beds, and have seen great harvest because of it. You can have your raised beds anywhere on your property including your front yard or your back yard.
Benefits of a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden
There are many benefits to adding a raised bed into your garden. Here are some of the benefits that you will get when you decide to add one or more to your yard.
- Raised bed gardening can be done in a small space. This is great for urban gardens or land where you may not have much space.
- Less work. You will not have to till the ground nor clear out a spot for a garden. They are great for people with rugged terrain or soil that needs to be heavily amended.
- Less weeds. A raised bed will not have many weeds as you will be able to control the soil that is used in the bed.
- Easy harvest. When it comes harvest time, you will have no trouble getting to your plants to harvest.
- Easier for those with health problems. A raised bed is perfect for those who have health issues. For instance if you have a bad back and cannot get all the way on the ground, the raised bed will help you to avoid doing so.
Getting Started with a Raised Bed
In order to add a raised bed to your garden there are several things that you will need to do. You will need to choose a location that is permanent for your bed. You will not be able to move it once it is planted. Choose a spot that is getting optimal sunlight and is easy to water. Next you will want to choose the type of wood you will be using to build your bed. Your local hardware store will have weather treated wood that will last for your garden bed. Next you will want to put down some sort of weed barrier before you put the soil in. It is best to use a soil that is commercial so that you do not bring any weeds in. Once you have your soil in, you will want to water well.
Once you have your raised bed ready you can start planting your plants. You can choose to start from seeds or transplants. You are not limited to just one item in your bed. You can grow several different vegetables and fruits within the raised bed. Remember to provide adequate spacing for all of your plants. Once you have planted you will need to make sure that you water well and fertilize at least once every couple of weeks.
Raised bed gardening tips video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9lVlh5-lBY
Tips on Planting
If you are planting tomatoes a great way to make sure you have a great harvest is to ensure that you have the plant stabilized well. Make sure that you have a tomato cage or stake around your tomato plant. For cucumbers, you may want to include a trellis for them to climb on. Some people will plant corn in their raised bed to produce not only corn, but a trellis for the cucumber to grow on.
A raised bed garden has many benefits and can be a great addition to any garden. You may find that you will replace your entire garden with raised beds as they are easier to maintain and easier to plant. Consider adding a raised bed into your garden today.